Our thanks to CBH Group and the Shire of Carnamah for their assistance in developing the building, Lotterywest for helping with equipment and Healthway for supporting some of the programs that will operate in the space.
The Exchange has been developed in response to the following five main areas from community consultation conducted in 2016 through the region:
- Reduce social isolation and strengthen the community through arts, culture, heritage and education resilience/cohesion programs (limit financial barrier to access)
- Create a community space/gathering point outside of sport
- Address the disconnect between demographics in our community and increase understanding/respect of Aboriginal culture
- Reduce volunteer burnout
- Address unsustainable operational costs for not-for-profit
The Exchange provides a central hub for a collective of local not-for-profit organisations to run their programs from. The model reduces the number of volunteers required in the community by simultaneously running multiple concurrent activities. It also reduces operational costs for groups using the space with items such as utility bills and insurances reduced.
The Exchange offers the following free activities and services:
- Large-scale book exchange and seed sharing library
- WiFi and computer access
- Community lounge areas
- Aboriginal medicine and bushtucker garden (in progress!)
- The Edge - Community Youth Gallery Space
- Large-scale art studio
- Indoor community movie area - used for films, live simulcast broadcasting and learning i.e. TED Talk nights
- Makers' space
- Performance stage
- Long table settings for community dinners and shared lunches
- Student study areas
- Offices, meeting and training room for not-for-profits
- Various art, culture, heritage, health, education and youth club programs
"The Exchange - Carnamah" has been developed in response to local needs and is now being managed/utilised by the community as a base for a multitude of local organisations and initiatives. From July the Carnamah Tourist Office will also be operating from within the space.
To find out more on the project or to use the space, please email email@example.com